You may be the best salesperson who can sell anything but struggle with creating a resume that captures the hiring manager’s attention. Without an outstanding sales representative resume, you’ll not be able to get the opportunities that will help you advance in your career.
In this article, we have a detailed resume guide that will help you craft a professional resume that gets you your next opportunity. Here are some of the topics we’ll cover.
- The correct resume format depending on your qualifications.
- A sales representative resume example to show you how to structure your resume.
- How to add your professional experience.
- The skills that every sales rep should have on their resume.
Sales Representative Resume Example
Professional Sales Representative with a proven track record in negotiating sales contracts, building client relationships with existing and potential customers, and managing client accounts. Dedicated employee with eight years of experience and a talent for recognizing new business. Developed sales strategies that increased sales by 15%.
City Gear Store
- Marked merchandise items with identifying codes and correct pricing before transport to the sales team.
- Collaborated with vendors and other stores to determine market trends and sales strategies before choosing appropriate items to sell to new and existing customers.
- Provided client support by responding to customer inquiries and resolving their sales and service issues.
Comics and Comix
January 2016-March 2017
- Increased store sales by 10% by cross-selling accessory items.
- Identified prospective clients at sales events and sold them our products, increasing the shop sales by 15%.
- Successfully drove the sales performance of the shop by 20% through cold calling and following up with prospective customers.
Bachelor of Science in Sales and Marketing
University of Illinois Chicago
- Referral marketing
- Account management
- Cold Calling
- Sales forecasting
- Creative Problem Solving
- Excellent communication skills
- Lead Development
- Excellent customer service
Certified Sales Development Representative
Salary rates for sales representatives
The average salary for a sales representative is $60,000. The typical range is between $51,000 and $70,000, depending on the level of education, skills, and experience.
How to Create a Resume for Sales Representatives
Sales representative positions are different depending on the industry you want to get into. Checking the job description is critical to ensure you tailor your resume accordingly.
The goal is to showcase your expertise to the hiring manager and get them interested enough to call you for an interview. Also, use relevant keywords throughout your resume so that ATS systems do not filter it out.
We have some great resume examples that you can refer to if you need some tips to help you write your resume. The resume format, layout, and structure are also vital. Let’s look at them in detail.
Resume Format, Layout, and Structure
Picking the right resume format that best represents your qualifications is vital. Here are some of the formats you can consider for your resume.
- Reverse-chronological format – This format is suitable for candidates who have experience. That’s because it prioritizes your experience, which most recruiters focus on when they get your resume.
- Functional resume format – This format is perfect for recent graduates and candidates who are changing careers and don’t have much experience. It’s a skills-based resume that focuses on your skills/unique abilities.
- Combination/hybrid resume – This format is a blend of the two other formats. If you have the required skills and experience, this is your format.
The layout of your resume should be simple to read and understand. Hiring managers advise job seekers to use a font size of 10-12pt and easy-to-read fonts like Arial, Cambria, Times New Roman, and Calibri.
The structure of your sales representative resume should have the following sections:
- The header
- The professional summary/ objective
- Work experience section
- Education section
- Skills section
- An additional section(computer skills and certifications, languages, publications, awards/honors, and interests)
Start with the Header Section
The header section is crucial because it has the contact information that the recruiter needs to contact you. Ensure that the information is accurate and doesn’t have any errors. The personal details you should add to this section include:
- Your full name
- Job title
- Phone number
- Professional email address
- A link to your LinkedIn profile.
A good header
A bad header
4777 Private Lane
House number 12
Date of birth 02/01/1988
📌The header should always be brief and only have the relevant details that the recruiter needs to contact you.
How to Showcase Your Experience in Your Resume
The experience section is a crucial one. This is where you list all the sales jobs you’ve had before and the results you achieved.
Most hiring managers will go straight to this section, so you must ensure that it’s structured properly. Use our resume templates if you need some help with this.
Start with your most recent sales job and go backward. Add the name of each workplace, your job title, and the years you worked at each place.
Under each section, add three to five job duties/responsibilities to show the recruiter what you can do. Mention a figure or fact that shows the recruiter the results you could achieve for the company.
If you don’t have any sales experience, you can add any other experience that has allowed you to gain transferable skills that will be useful in the sales representative job.
For graduate and entry-level sales representatives
June 2018-December 2020
- Offered promotional items to new and existing clients to build customer relationships and increased company annual sales and profits by 15%.
- Provided superior customer service and achieved 20% repeat purchases surpassing the sales targets.
- Initiated social media and digital marketing campaigns to increase customer leads and the company’s outreach.
For senior sales representatives
Bright Technologies Limited
Senior Sales Rep
March 2014-July 2018
- Increased the sales team performance by 30% by restructuring work procedures, improving the sales process, and providing training to employees.
- Over six months, produced more than 20 leads and contacted them to convert those leads to customers, achieving a 40% success rate.
- Accurately made product forecasts needed for different accounts, prepared sales presentations to explain our products and services, and created sales reports.
Education: Include Your Academic Background
The education section depends on the job and industry you’re applying to. Some sales positions require a bachelor’s degree, while others only need a high school diploma.
Check the job description, find out what your potential employer is looking for, and add the relevant educational qualifications.
If you have a bachelor’s or master’s degree, leave out the high school diploma. The details you should have in this section include:
- The name of the diploma/degree
- The name of the college/university
- Expected date/year of graduation
If you don’t have much experience, use this section to show the recruiter why you’re the best person for the job. Describe specific classes that have prepared you for the position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
Skills for a Sales Rep Resume
The right sales skills on your resume will put you ahead of your competition. If you use the correct wording as you list your skills, you’ll increase the chances of your resume getting past the applicant tracking systems.
Every great sales representative resume should have a list of hard and soft skills.
Hard skills take time to learn through school or on-the-job training. On the other hand, soft skills are essential character traits that every job seeker needs to be able to interact well with people at work. When you’re writing your resume, separate these two and use bullet points to list them down.
Here is a list of skills that every sales resume should have.
- Lead generation
- Cold calling
- Consultative selling approach
- Client relationship management
- Business Development
- Marketing skills
- Product management and pricing
- Client acquisition and sales strategy
- Problem-solving skills
- Multitasking skills
- Organization skills
- Communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
Sales Representative Resume Summary
This section introduces your resume by highlighting your top achievements, experience, and skills. It’s an essential part of your resume because it determines whether the recruiter reads the rest of your resume or not. Use catchy language and mention a figure that quantifies your results to show the recruiter your value to the company.
Self-motivated Sales Professional with more than seven years of experience expanding network connections, managing client accounts, introducing new products, and educating clients. Proven track record retaining top accounts and exceeding sales goals by 25% by expanding sales territory and providing solutions to customers’ issues. Professional leader and effective team builder.
💡The example above describes the candidate’s experience, skills, and an achievement that will get the recruiter interested in reading the rest of the resume.
Focused Sales Rep driven to achieve the best results for customers. Excellent team player and leader.
💡The example above fails to give specific details that give the hiring manager insight into who you are and what makes you a unique candidate.
Professional/resume objective (and when to use it)
If you haven’t worked as a sales rep, you’re probably wondering which achievements you’ll add to the resume summary section. You shouldn’t worry about this because you’ll use a resume objective. It allows you to talk about your professional goals and show the recruiter how they align with the company ones. Also, show the recruiter that you’re excited to work at the company in this section.
Highly energetic sales and marketing graduate with a great personality and the motivation to excel in the tech sales industry. Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and vast knowledge of multiple tech products. Seeking a Sales Representative position with Quota Systems; to utilize communication skills and love for all things tech.
💡The example above describes the candidate’s skills and expresses their excitement to work for the company.
Additional Sections for Your Resume
Your resume would be incomplete without an additional section. This section highlights the skills and other qualifications you didn’t discuss in the previous sections.
Hiring managers don’t have much time to review every resume and can easily miss your qualifications. This part of your resume allows you to add all those qualifications you don’t want the recruiter to miss.
Let’s look at some of these sections.
Computing skills & Certifications
All sales reps should have some basic computer skills. You’ll be required to record sales on the computer system, and these skills will be necessary. Instead of adding these skills in the general skills section, list them here to make them more visible.
Most sales representative jobs are competitive, and having certifications on your resume increases your chances of landing the position. If you add the certifications in the education section, there is a chance that the hiring manager will miss them. Always have a separate section for the certifications to make it easy for the recruiter to spot them. Here are some of the certifications that will help your resume stand out.
- Certified Sales Executive
- Certified Inside Sales Professional
- Inbound Sales Certification
Sales representatives interact with people from different cultures, so if you’re a bilingual candidate, you already have the edge over the other candidates. All your language skills should be in a separate section to ensure that the recruiter doesn’t miss them. Use the official language reference to list the languages as follows:
- TOEFL or IELTS for English
- Goethe Zertifikat for German
- Delf for French
The interests section leaves a lot of job seekers unsure of what to include here. The best thing to do is to research the company you want to work for before adding your interests. This ensures that the interests you add to your resume align with the company culture.
Tips to Boost Your Resume
- Every resume you send out should be specific and tailored to match the job requirements of the position you’re applying for.
- Optimize your resume with the right keywords and action verbs. This will help your resume get past the applicant tracking systems.
- Each job title should be different and optimized with the relevant keywords.
- Highlight your relevant work experience.
- Proofread the resume to ensure there are no grammatical and spelling mistakes.
Summary: Writing a Perfect Resume for Sales Representative Jobs
- Choosing the right format and layout is vital if you want the recruiter to read your resume.
- The details in the header must be accurate.
- Quantify your achievements with figures and facts that show the recruiter the results you could achieve for the company.
- The resume summary/objective should be short but catchy to interest the recruiter in reading the rest of your resume.
- Using bullet points to list your skills makes it easy to spot them.
- Always include an additional section to your resume with the skills and qualifications you don’t want the recruiter to miss.
Write a Proper Cover Letter
Every resume should be complemented with a cover letter. This document describes your qualifications in more detail, allowing you to showcase your writing skills and personality. If your potential employer asks you not to send a cover letter, you can send your application without one. Otherwise, it’s advisable to accompany your resume with one at all times. Check out our cover letter examples.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which industries are hiring sales representatives?
- Technology and Software
- Healthcare and pharmaceutical
- Financial Services
Which top companies are hiring sales professionals?
According to Glassdoor, the companies hiring for sales representative jobs include:
- Dell Technologies